Halifax Public Gardens
One of the finest surviving examples of a Victorian Garden in North America, the Halifax Public Gardens were started on Common land in 1836. Trees and shrubs are planted as separate specimens, with exotic and semi-tropical ornamental species adding colour and texture.
Richard Power, the Garden’s superintendent from 1872 to 1915, oversaw the introduction of the bandstand, the fountains, statues and wrought iron gates—all features of the High Victorian Pleasure Garden. They all honour a milestone in Queen Victoria’s reign, a contemporary military event or an important local personage. Recognized as a National Historic Site in 1984, the Halifax Public Gardens are a much loved and popular destination for locals and visitors alike.